Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Reasons


A month ago, the weather teased us with temps in the 70s. I couldn't believe how the nice cool mornings totally boosted my mood! Well, don't worry, it was back in the 80s and muggy until 3 days ago! I am hoping FALL is here to stay and here's why:

1. Cool enough for the AC to be off which allows me to keep the sliding door open and watch/listen Hannah play in the sandbox while being productive inside
(it cracks me up how much I cherish uninterrupted cleaning time! Who knew I could be so thorough and efficient....Mom?

2. No AC in the van (less gas). Feel the breeze girls!

3. I really need to learn how to make soup. Like BASIC step by step instructions. Couldn't make a bowl of chicken noodle soup if I tried right now (c'mon I have kids now, what are they supposed to eat when they get sick?)so when you get a second, email me your tips and best/easiest recipes...that would be awesome.

4. Hoodies. 'Nuf said.

5. Indian corn (candy corn's most scrumptious cousin)

6. This is a gross one but I am so sick of the stench of our(outside)garbage making me gag every time I even get close. 2 in diapers + sun beating down on a black g. can = well, you can imagine.

7. Hannah's #2.

8. Plus all the fall colors, general conference, warm socks, long sleeved shirt/sweaters, actually sleeping with a blanket on top of me, apple crisp...I could go on and on...

Are you with me? Oh, and the nice thing about fall in NC is it last for about 4 months. Saweet.

4 comments:

  1. I am totally with you, though I think Spring ties with Fall for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken Tortilla Soup
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 onion, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
    1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
    1 1/4 cups water
    1 cup whole corn kernels, cooked
    1 cup white hominy 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile
    peppers
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and
    drained
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    2 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked
    and cut into bite-sized pieces
    crushed tortilla chips
    sliced avocado
    shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    chopped green onions
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. In a medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Stir in chili powder, oregano, tomatoes, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
    2. Stir in corn, hominy, chiles, beans, cilantro, and chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes.
    3. Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, and top with crushed tortilla chips, avocado slices, cheese, and chopped green onion.
    (This soup freezer really well and is great to double. Just pull it out of the freezer and heat it up. Dinner is on the table within 20 minutes)


    Shrimp and Corn Bisque
    1 lb shrimp, shelled
    1 med onion, diced
    1/2 green pepper, diced
    1 stalk celery, diced
    1/2 stick butter
    1 can cream of shrimp soup
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 can cream of celery soup
    1 can cream of potato soup
    *1 can whole kernel corn
    *1 can creamed corn
    1 pint half-and-half
    1 small block Velveeta cheese, cubed
    a couple bay leaves
    1 tbsp basil
    salt/pepper to taste
    (never said it was healthy)
    Using a big soup/stock pot, melt butter and saute onion, bell pepper, and celery until soft. Add shrimp and cook thoroughly. Add all other ingredients and combine. Heat soup through, but DO NOT BOIL.
    Serve with fresh baked bread.



    These are two of my favorites for two reasons. One because they are so easy and two because they are SOOO good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with ya' sista! I LOVE fall...it is my favorite time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! I LOVE fall for all of the reasons you listed, plus a million more! Of course, here in Utah, mother nature just flips the switch one day. Capris and 80 one day, and pants, long-sleeved shirts and warm jackets the next with 50 degree weather. Good thing I love it!

    ReplyDelete