Sunday, February 21, 2010


Hallelujah for 9:00 a.m. church! Hallelujah for brand spankin' new church buildings! And hallelujah for ward conference! Our ward conference theme was "Making Christ the Center of Your Life." It really stood out to me when our bishop contrasted this theme with the common motto of "Center Your Life on Christ." Read them again slowly. In the first, Christ is the fixed immovable object and it is up to us to revolve our daily lives around his constant secure anchor. I am a pro at rationalizing some of my behaviors to make myself feel like I'm incorporating Jesus Christ in my life but the truth is, I could improve immensely.

Interestingly enough, just this week I was thinking that yes, in general, I would describe my life as happy. Extremely happy. But the day in-day out, hour by hour thing... not sure I would always use the term "happy" to describe my emotional state there. In my self cross-examination it quickly became evident that the small choices I make every day (probably hundreds) that no one else really sees, don't always put me on the fast path to bliss. Choices choices choices. What to do FIRST when I wake up, how to react to frustrating motherhood moments, who to call (or not)and check on or offer help, what to do during the girls' nap, etc. I'm ashamed to admit that many of these choices have very little to do with Christ and more to do with Ashley.
SO! Instead of going about my own business doing what I THINK will make me happy, I'll be putting forth maximum effort to conform my activities to The Savior's teachings. You're probably saying, "Uh, duh." I know I know, when will I learn? Help me out.

1 comment:

  1. um.. now you got me thinking. BTW I think you are crazy for rejoicing over 9am church.

    ReplyDelete